Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Sedona's First Day of Preschool!!!


"Bye Bye, Deenah, house. "That was Marissa's way of saying "Goodbye, Sedona. We're leaving you at preschool and going home without you."


That was just outside the school gate. Then when we got home, she cried (so did I) and said "I wan Andeenah!!" ("I want Sedona!!!)


And just now, "Mommy, Deenah." She's just not the same without her sister. Being together with Sedona at home is all she known for these past 20 months, so she can't understand this new change and is pretty fussy and clingy and very obviously wondering what's going on.


That breaks my heart, but I'm so proud of my big girl being oh, so ready to wave goodbye to us. Even when we toured preschools last spring, she was comfortable in walking away from me and exploring. She did ask for a kiss before we left. And stuck her cheek out again. And puckered up when I encouraged Marissa to give her a hug. That's a little off her usual request to be hugged or held, but other than being a little quiet on the way today (and acting out big time last week), that's our only indication that she's out of her comfort zone. She was born for learning, both in the classroom and out!
*********************************************
We started the day with some nice traditions to mark the day:
1) A First Day of School Present: A fun alphabet book (Marissa got a book too.)

2) Storytime with the aforementioned presents

3) Measuring her on our new growth chart (that I painted just in time)

4) Picture taking

5) A special breakfast: she chose macaroni and cheese!
*****************************************************

This house is way too quiet. Marissa and I are off to find something to do as we get used used to it being just the two of us at home. This is very strange. Definitely the end of an era.


Thank you, Father, for Sedona's health, that she can run around and bravely play and meet new friends with such ease. We are so blessed to be entrusted with caring for this bright and capable little girl. She is a joy! Please make her time at school safe, fun, and productive. Thank you that they have crafts everywhere for this creative little person to enjoy. Thank you for great teachers and preschools, and that it's only two days a week! Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

TJ and Abby sort of wander around aimlessly now that Ty and Katie are back in school, too... I'm starting Parent Participation with them in a couple of weeks, though, so that should be interesting! Enjoy this time with Marissa... think of her as your only child for just a few hours- it's super-special Mommy time!
BTW, where is Sedona attending?

Brianna Heldt said...

Oh, seeing your little ones grow up is so hard! (But so exciting too, as you get to see them grow!)

And macaroni and cheese sounds like a fanTAStic breakfast--yum! What a special day!

Jacquelyn said...

What preschool? Does she like it?