Sunday, September 14, 2008

A day of rest and an attitude adjustment

Yesterday, I realized that I was grumpy with my family for the umpteenth time, and I grew concerned when I realized being grumpy had become a HABIT for me. Sure, not having a kitchen for almost 4 months could do that to a person. It's understandable that the frustration would make me a little short-tempered. I know. But when I found that I was comfortable in justifying being so nasty around my dear husband and little ones, I knew it was time for an attitude adjustment.

So I went to bed early for a change, then went to my dear church the next morning. God saw fit to bless me with this special church family that meets so many longings I had growing up. Great worship and leadership, sermons that I relate to and enjoy, mommies I can pray with, a loving atmosphere and a focus on Jesus. (Okay, that part should have been first.) I could go on.

This was a little monumental for me, because I not only went to church (and of course came out feeling refreshed and spiritually fed), but I kept the Sabbath holy as well. (Is that the right phrase?) It has been difficult getting to church at all since having two kids, but I would also justify not going by saying I needed to work on the house. A cleaning project here, a kitchen project there. It was no wonder I was spiritually depleted and exhausted! And even if I did make it to church, I would work later on on whatever was calling my name.

But is it possible that I will be MORE productive for taking this day of rest that God has ordained? Truly, instead of feeling more behind, I felt more IN CONTROL, MORE PEACEFUL, and much MORE LOVING to my precious family.

Nothing I have said is revelation, I know. Even God rested from his MIGHTY work of creation! (Oh, Father, how I praise you for that creation you came up with that week!)

But if I could encourage you at all with this testimony, then let it be so.

God, my God, first of all forgive me for my lack of true priorities. Thank you for showing mercy to me even in my blindness and giving the girls and me a day filled with you. Thank you for Marissa's peaceful spirit as she was quietly cuddling near me in the pew. Thank you for Sedona's loving Sunday School teachers and for her craft project that I can tell delighted her heart. I praise you that they can learn about you and your Word without secrecy and fear. Praise you Father! You are so good to us, and have truly provided rest, church family, and a spiritual uplift. You always know what we need! Father, we love you. Amen.

4 comments:

Kristen Borland said...

i always feel more refreshed when we don't do "work" (like clean, etc) on Sundays. we don't always follow that, but it does make such a difference. plus it helps me focus on doing more the other days so i can rest on Sunday.

i just started reading _Heaven at Home: Establishing and Enjoying a Peaceful Home_ by ginger plowman. i'm borrowing it from a friend. so far i really like it. it's really all about our attitudes and focus, which i need so much help with!

Joanie said...

Ooh, thanks for the book recommendation! I'm going to look that one up!

joy said...

what a sweet reminder that rest and time apart for God alone is important. it was great visiting with you yesterday! you are a dear friend.

Brenda said...

Joanie, that you for this reminder. We too made it to church today and I am so glad I didn't force myself to spend the afternoon at the fair. Instead, we all took a much needed nap and boy do I feel better!

Of, course it is really late now and I am still up, but oh well :-)

PS. I just love the prayers at the end of your posts...They are inspirational!!I had to borrow it and post a few on mine. I have a hard time praying in my mind only or speaking them. But writing my prayers seems to help me maintain my focus. I am hoping that writing them for ahile will help me teach Melanie how to pray out loud.