We're home from a nice vacation to Vegas and Utah (more on that later), and it seems we are having a hard time getting back into the swing of things.
All I really want to do is make some Christmas cookies with the girls on one of our rare days that we're just at home, but it isn't working.
All I really want to do is enjoy my girls. They are at great ages - so cute - and I can still remember when I wasn't sure if I'd even get to have these precious children.
What is getting in the way? I feel slammed. I feel slammed by the inevitable mountain of laundry and cleaning that awaits me, although this was one of my more prepared trips, I must say. I feel slammed by Sedona's behavior. She goes through periods of test, test test. We must be there now, because I suddenly have no more patience for her moaning when I'm on the phone, trying to figure out WHY my new dishwasher isn't working. And I have no more patience when I say I'm checking on my friends and she asks who I'm writing to (nobody at the time), then DEMANDS FIVE TIMES ,"Who are your friends?"
(Ummm, why do you need to know, Sedona?!? Can't Mommy just check her email and blogs, get a cookie recipe off of the web, and be done with it?) Oh, sorry, that's a bit rude isn't it? Nice example setting! I don't really think I said that out loud, but what I did say was probably...worse. Cringe.
I guess three-year-old curiosity is like that. I know I should be flattered, but the day in, day out can be a little wearing.
Dear Father, Thank you for bearing with us when we all act like three year olds. Thank you for my children, and that they are healthy and have energy to be rambunctious. Thank you for Marissa who is praying her own prayer even as I type, and thank you for Sedona who has to test the limits in order to find out who she is. Lord, I know she has more good (and wonderful and amazing) qualities than bad. I know that her mind is so bright that she feels she MUST know what is going on. I know her tenacity is a good quality in the long run. Father, please help me in the short run. Help me to see the big picture of who You want these girls to be, and help me to love them with wisdom and warmth. Amen.
2 comments:
amen, sista! what a very sweet prayer. you are such a good example to your girls, joanie.
Oh Joanie! you are speaking my heart! Sedona and Caedra are so much alike.
Will you bring your girls over and hang out with me sometime soon?
Post a Comment