Saturday, December 13, 2008

Frosted Christmas Tree Cookies

DSC01611

What makes Christmas "Christmas" for you? 

One year when I was very young, my mom surprised my brothers and me with Christmas cookies that she had made while we were at school.  I still remember being in my dad's "Shop" parking lot when she took them out of the Tupperware to share them.  ("The Shop" is my dad's farm implement and tractor business, but that's just what we've always called it.) 

I remember that the icing was LIGHT green. I even remember that it was a cold, foggy day!

Ever since then , Christmas cookies have such a fun and festive meaning. And they're DELECTABLE.  And I have to remember to eat them in small doses, or else get a sugar coma. 

They're my favorites this time of year.  It's such a fun memory of a  sweet surprise - my mom is as sweet as her cookies, and she of course used the frosting recipe from her grandmother, back when they called margarine "oleo."

So I was very excited to get to make these for Sedona and have them waiting for her when she came home from school.  The tradition continues!

DSC01605 Marissa is excited about helping out.

 

 

 

 

 

The discovery. DSC01614

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The enjoyment.  :)

DSC01616DSC01617

Thanks Mom!  I love you, and I'm so grateful that your legacy was more than just darling tree-shaped cookies, but a love for Jesus as well. 

Thanks for playing Evie with "One Small Child" to get the whole thing started. 

Thanks Dad, for our drives up to beautiful Three Rivers while we listened to the Harry Simeon Orchestra and that tape with "Jesus, Prince of Peace and Glory - Hallelujah!"  And buying the BEST oranges I've ever tasted at that roadside stand shaped like a big orange. I love you so much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoah, Joanie- where did you grow up? My dad worked in a farming business, and we lived in Visalia- sounds like we might have been neighbors??
Beautiful story about the cookies, too... I love memories that include food... :)

Joanie said...

I grew up in Hanford, so yes! we were neighbors!

Unknown said...

Happy Holidays Joanie. I enjoy reading your blog. Is the picture of the snow in the mountains from your vacation?

Priscilla Rynning said...

Joanie, Sedona was SOOOOO ADORABLE in her BEAUTIFUL dress and red cowgirl boots!!!! what a doll!!

joy said...

what a sweet post and wonderful tribute to your dear parents. i'm craving some cookies now! and my word verification is "plates."