Some of my blogs have mentioned my mom and either the help she's given or a beautiful dress she's sewn, but there are a few other unsung heroes out there that deserve a shout-out.
This one is about my dad, Jim. We know him around here as Papa (or Dad, Daddy, sometimes Daddio or Pop). I was inspired to write this on January 1, and I figured I would post it after finding just the right pictures. Little did I know then that I would be asking for your prayers because he is going in for open heart surgery this upcoming Tuesday morning. It is so surreal to even type this. He looks so energetic and vital! But it must be done. And it is SCARY. Thankfully, he has a good surgeon and we are expecting a good outcome.
He doesn't get as much mention, but he is always there, helping us out, making sure that the girls' future is secure, encouraging us in our marriage and endeavors. He NEVER buts in, but I know his wish is for us to have a blessed, abundant, peaceful life.
Dad brought my grandfather over to see our house last spring. I can't imagine that this was an easy task, but it was so beautiful because my grandfather blessed our home, immediately understanding why we invested in it and seeing the little details about it that are so special to me. The memories we made at that visit are even more precious to me now that my grandfather is gone.
Dad cheerfully helps us move, weed my garden, make a flower bed out of a rock bed, and rip up old, nasty carpet and lay down new flooring. He even takes said nasty carpet to the dump for us. (Okay - just a little shout-out here is needed for my mom who also cheerfully helped me get my dishes done back when we had no dishwasher!) I have been touched by his surprise trips to see me in Musical Theater (during my Cuesta days) or to meet my new babies - even though he had sciatic pain. Dad also fires up the motorhome so we can ride around in stye and comfort. This is one of the girls' FAVORITE things to do with Mammy and Papa!
He has been a somewhat willing accomplice when my Mom and I play furniture trade. Repeatedly. Hey, Mom, that beautiful roll top desk that you brought over doesn't quite fit. Would you like it back? Yes, I do need a big chair, thanks! Would you like your table back, too? It goes on like this. Poor guy must get aggravated, but he's so cheery. Some of his trademarks are his gentle spirit and unswerving positive attitude. He gives beyond generosity, loves on my children with cuddles, care, silly play, dancing and soft-spoken attention. He tells them he loves them and he loves my husband (whom he calls Cristobal - I am called Pup) like his own son. I could not ask for more!
Thank You Lord, for our Patriarch. Thank You for his wacky sense of humor. Thank You that he sets the example of going to Your House to worship You and give of Your blessings. Thank You that he also set the example of duty and hard work balanced with having fun and relaxing when the work is done. I love this man, Lord. He is a precious gift, passing down a legacy of love, of quietly being there, doing what needs to be done, and showing love with kind deeds and surprises done in your name. I ask that You bless him, Father, with all the abundant blessings you would give to him. As he transitions to retirement, please give him activities to keep his bright mind active, and give him energy and strength to enjoy it. Guide the surgeon and hospital staff, Jesus, that he would have excellent care and healing. You are our ultimate Physician, Lord, and I pray your healing touch upon him in the weeks to come. If it is Your will, we ask for many, many more years with Mom and Dad. Thank you for what he means to my girls and to me. Please grant Mom Your mercies and peace through this hard journey. I thank you for my parents, Father! Amen
6 comments:
Oh, Joannie, I am praying already for your dad (and you and your mom, too!) Your dad sounds like my dad's soulmate, really! My dad is our caretaker and handyman around here, too. he recently had to have a pacemaker "installed" (is there a better word for this?), and for awhile, Mom and I had to envision a life possibly without him. You've inspired me to give a shout-out to my pa, whether on a blog or in a letter. We'll see. Do you need anything this week? Help? A meal? Please let your friends know- we're here for you!
Thank you, Penny! So far, so good, but I'll keep you in mind if needs arise. What a precious friend you are.
What a beautiful tribute to your mother and your father. I will continue praying for your dad, and will remember to pray in the morning as well. Your parents have done such a great job in raising you and I can see that legacy passing on to your sweet girls.
Oh, Joanie, I too am already praying for your father, I will be praying tomorrow morning as well. --Gracious, merciful Heavenly Father, you are the Great Physical and providor of Peace. Please extend your healing mercies upon Jim. Please fill the hearts and minds of this wonderful family with peace that surpasses all understanding. Lord, please bless the hands and work of the physicians that you have so graciously given talent and skills to perform life-saving surgery on organs that you have so wonderfully made in your image. Lord, Give my dear friend, Joanie an extra portion of comfort tomorrow. Enable her to have peace that overflows upon her children and family. Lord, we are so thankful of the provisions that you grant us. You are a wonderful and glorious God. We ask these things in the name of your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen
How did your dad's surgery go? We prayed tonight at prayer group at church.
Joanie,
How's your dad? Been praying!!
Post a Comment