Saturday, January 17, 2009

Marissa has a broken collarbone

Please pray for Marissa.  She and her sister were climbing a booth at a restaurant (There's a reason why we tell them to stop!), and she fell over the top of it and broke her collarbone.  (Such a bummer, but it WAS one of the cutest x-rays I've ever seen.) 

She's going to be okay.  It doesn't look like she'll need any surgery or anything, just ice, rest and Baby Advil.  It does hurt quite a bit, and she has a tricked out sling because they're all big on her. (This reminds me of my friend Lara, and her little boy who had a broken collar bone when he was very, very tiny.)  The sling helps keep it still and she seemed to appreciate it, but it kind of scares her too.  She was fairly brave when the doctor examined her.  Sedona was a big, big help offering to be the guinea pig for some of the equipment and being so well behaved in the office. 

Marissa is resting now, so we'll see how it goes this evening and tonight.

Please pray for us also.  I'm thankful that the break is a medium one and not bigger or accompanying a neck injury or concussion, but it's hard not to have a little heartache over it all as well.   I'm also trying to have lots of fun with Sedona because I can tell she needs some "normal" to reassure her.   And God bless Chris.  He was giving me a morning at home alone so I could do some "rampage cleaning."  Such a shame that it turned out this way, but again, it could have been worse.

9 comments:

Mama Mote said...

Hey, I still have a little something for my birthday twin. Are you going to be at church tomorrow?

Priscilla Rynning said...

Oh, Joanie! I am SO sorry about Marissa! Our family has experienced that too: Philip broke his right one twice and the left one once and his daughter broke hers on her way into this world :( Sending prayers, love and gentle hugs! *Granna* Priscilla

Larissa said...

Oh no!! That's so sad. =( It was hard enough when Grant was a tiny baby, but it must be much harder with a toddler who doesn't like to sit still.
I totally understand your heartache...just knowing your child is broken. =(
But I also thought the x-ray was cute! Such tiny little bones. =)
Big hugs to little Marissa. We'll be praying.
Did the dr. say how long it would take to heal?

Anonymous said...

Abby and Marissa can be broken collarbone twins! (Is there such a thing?) Abby's broke when she was born, and it healed quickly with no intervention... I'm sure MArissa's will, too. That's why little ones are born with rubbery bones- God knew!! :)

Kristen Borland said...

oh no! i will pray her.

Brenda said...

Poor Marissa, kids are amazingly resilliant. We often feel so guilty over things such as these. Poor Chris, he must feel terrible. We will pray for healing and normalcy to return to your home, I can only imagine how precious that x-ray must be. So tiny... I have been meaning to write you as well to let you know that we will not be able to attend the princess party. I wish we could, but I am leaving for a week on the 1st for a trip to the midwest for work, and so I really need to be home to prepare emotionally for being gone from Melanie for a week...

joy said...

Oh, Joanie! I will pray for Marissa. Do you need anything?

Priscilla Rynning said...

How is Miss Marissa doing?

Brianna Heldt said...

Joanie I'm so sorry!!! I will be praying for your sweet Marissa!