Monday, January 3, 2011

Bliss

This morning I was at Moms In Touch praying for our kids (how’s that for a lead in?) and I had Marissa, my adorable little tagalong with me as usual.  She usually looks through books or plays with little cards or notebooks, but today she was cold and wanted to cuddle.  (I LOVE how cuddly my kids are!!!) So, I’ve got her up on my lap and low and behold I hear a little “suck, suck, suck” (that’s her thumb) and then much to my surprise little snores – right when I was praying for her over her upcoming birthday! 

What a privilege to feel her breathing softly near my abdomen just as I was thinking of the gift she was at her birth and the big girl she’s turning into. 

This is one of those great mom moments that can touch my heart forever.  She still naps occasionally, and her naps have always been the cuddly kind (by choice for Chris and me – she was able to nap in her crib, but feeling Marissa’s heaviness as she drifts off is just a gift.)  But today it still felt great to capture this fleeting moment of her babyhood even as she gains more independence and grows toward spending more time apart from us in school.  I’m glad that’s still a ways off.  I still can’t believe how many hours a day my Sedona is away from home when she’s at school (loving every minute of it, I might add.)

 image

Darling Marissa,

You are one special little girl!  I love our time together, and I love your ideas, creativity, love of all things crafty, and the fact that you have babies everyday. And they are such well-cared-for babies, wrapped in their blankets and strewn around the house.  It is so fun finding your children when I least expect it!  You cook, plan menus and picnics, set fancy tables and you can grow plants without even thinking about it.  You don’t like it when I call you “My Little Martha Stewart,” but in time you will see that as the compliment it is.  I’m so proud of you and your natural ability to nurture, keep house, figure things out and be aware of the bigger picture.  Wow!  All that and you aren’t even four yet!

And then there’s another side of you – the clown side.  The funny faces and funny voices side of you telling wild and crazy stories and cracking us all up.  Oh, my Goodness, what did we do for entertainment before we had children?!?

You’re precious.  I have so much more to say about you and I hope I get it into this blog soon, along with some pictures of you getting all grown up and showing your dimples.  But until I do, just know that you are so loved and so precious. 

My Little Lady.  Sometimes I think you will inspire a thousand songs.

No comments: