I was inspired just now by the owl hooting in the trees outside my office window. There are a few crickets as well. It is so peaceful and good for my soul. Tomorrow will be a little busy. Not bad, but we do best by getting a lot of things ready for the week before it comes at us full speed. So, we'll go to church, then I promised the girls a swim. (It was really a way for me to promise myself that I would get that swim in this weekend.) And then we'll roll out some reddish pink fondant and make some cut outs for a cake that I finally got around to baking. Then I have some budgeting to do and a kitchen to continue to clean.
I was on a cooking roll today. It was a lot of fun! But what a glorious mess! It doesn't overwhelm me like some messes can. It was so purposeful. I had gotten my first "farm box" (for only $15!!!) and it was loaded with all kinds of goodness. So I had to learn how to make some of these treats out of ingredients I don't usually buy. I made an onion gratin and eggplant parmesan served over spaghetti. That way, everyone was happy! I also threw some corn in the oven to make oven roasted corn on the cob. Christopher taught me that little trick.
The recipes were easy and the food was scrumptious. When it all comes together like that, it is worth getting a little behind in the clean up!
Back to this glorious night, however.
Ahhh, late summer. So beautiful. Or is it now the first day of Fall?
The summer of 2014 was an absolute golden one for the girls and me!!! Sedona and Marissa are now 9 and 7, and what maturity and joy those ages bring! Yes, I still love all the younger ages too. But I'm getting somewhat older. I don't feel that much older than my late 20's most of the time, but every now and then, I'll get an ache or injury or feel worn out in ways that remind me that I did indeed turn 40 last month. So having these helpful, sweet, mature girls is such a grace. And it is a big contrast to last summer. Summer of 2013 was most assuredly NOT golden. We had some hormones. Oh, did we ever have hormones! It's to be expected when there's so many females in one tiny cottage though!
So tonight, I'll soak up the happy summer memories, the sweet sounds of a beautiful night, and the comfort of knowing that we are heading into a good autumn. God has already blessed us with lovely teachers for the girls. Sedona's 4th grade teacher is our precious Miss Kristin. Some of you may remember that she was Marissa's Kindergarten teacher and Marissa was a flower girl in her wedding. It's so fun how things work out. I can't wait to tell you more about Sedona's math - and her other subjects too. These girlies are excellent students - it is so fun to watch them work so hard and accomplish so much.
I'll end this post with a little sneak peek into a photo shoot the girls and I did at a nearby creek. My mom found these dresses at her favorite thrift store and I can't believe they are just off the rack. They are so special, and since we've been reading the Little House series again, well, you'll see...
Oh, so gorgeous! And yes, my precious daughters are getting so big, I know. Yes, it is hard to believe sometimes! People ask about Marissa: "This can't be the Baby?!?" But it is so true. My baby is now in the grade I taught before having babies. That's always such a poignant year for me. I am so glad that both girls either have received or are receiving a Second Grade experience full of friends, fun activities, good memories, and meaningful learning. Second grade should be all those things and more, and I'm grateful that the girls are being blessed that way. It's a little thing that's a very big deal to me, and our gracious Lord never fails to show that He hears the cry of our heart.
Hallelujah!
No comments:
Post a Comment