Monday, June 27, 2011

June = the most awesome and terrifying month of the year

Let’s start with the terrifying:

The Little Ladies finished school, which means I’ve got a First Grader and a “Older Class” Preschooler.  Yikes, they’re growing up.

It was also terrifying because Sedona took a fall from the tree here,

image

had noticeable memory problems and had to go to the ER for a concussion.  God is Good, and she is well now.  She is restricted from a few activities until Autumn, but she got to do this:  image Kindergarten Graduation

 

and this:

image Recital 2011

 

but not this:

image Marissa’s Preschool Pool Party

(However, Sedona has been cleared to swim now and they both are enjoying swim lessons.)

Yes, she did start and finish her kindergarten year in the ER.  But in the meanwhile she had an AMAZING teacher, learned to read, made the sweetest friends, ran in the track meet and jog-a thon, and got awards for excellent behavior.  She even learned to stitch! image

imageAt the jog-a-thon with her handmade paper bow. My very creative Little Love!

 

I’m so proud of her!

imagePhoto credit E. Wilder

 

When the topic of Sedona’s concussion comes up, Marissa is quick to tell folks that she also had to go to the emergency room.  Back in March, she got a scary infection on the bottom of her foot that turned out to be MRSA.  From a SPLINTER!  I know, right? Who would have thought? We are so thankful for the dedicated and caring health professionals we have here.

image

She was very brave throughout the ordeal and recovered quickly, Praise God.  And yes, this year, antibiotics have been our friend.  Say what you want about them, and I agree that it’s important to use them with caution (thus the “resistant” strain of staph), but this year antibiotics were a lifesaver for us.  I’m grateful for the knowledge that has made them possible and accessible to us. I shudder to think how this story would have ended if we had been in a country or time period without modern medicine!

Back to June: there is no question that Marissa had fun at preschool. She was such a good friend and helper!  Her favorite subjects were Art and Storytime.  When I dropped her off in the morning, we had a “ritual” of checking her cubby for art from the previous day (she only went twice a week), then seeing what was going on for the craft that day.  image

 image

Sometimes we would head out to see her stunts on the monkey bars.  (She can’t let Sedona have ALL the acrobatic glory!) And then she would give me a hug and a pinch.  (She pinches my hand or elbow when she’s sucking her thumb and “getting in the zone” for comfort.) I used to be able to kiss her too, but she has decided she no longer likes kisses.  Independent girl!image

I’m so proud of her as well, taking these steps towards becoming her own person.  It’s hard to let her grow up since she is our Baby, but she’s got a big heart and a big personality (even though I sometimes call her Tiny) and there really is no stopping her!

To cap off the excitement from this month, tomorrow is Christopher’s birthday, and he got quite a unique Father’s Day treat at Disneyland. I’m going to write that post, but save it for another day. Happy Birthday, Sweetie!  I’m so glad you’re in our lives. What a precious man you are. image

Ah, June, you crazy month, you.  What a bumpy, yet sweet start to our summer!

Oh yes, and more recital pictures to come!!!!

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Joanie!
My goodness! You sure have had your share of the ER this year. I'm glad both of your daughters are doing better (especially Sedona after her fall) and you are so brave. Your girls are so beautiful and full life. I love the pic of them with their Daddy. Enjoy his birthday!